POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sky_sphere and HDRi : Sky_sphere and HDRi Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Sky_sphere and HDRi
From: Afishionado
Date: 11 Jan 2006 20:00:01
Message: <web.43c5a940743b370581cca5e40@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm wondering: Would it be feasable to use radiosity with a sky sphere to
generate HDR-ish effects from within Pov-ray?

Since sky_spheres only take pigments, not full textures, I can't see how to
do it directly with a sky_sphere. If I simply apply a sky_sphere pigment to
a scaled up sphere, the pigment gets all messed up, because sky_spheres map
pigments differently than a normal sphere.

I've doodled with running an empty scene (nothing inside but a camera and a
sky_sphere) with a spherical projection, outputting to hdr, then mapping
that to a giant sphere inside the final scene. This doesn't work right at
all unless you use uv mapping on the sphere ;-) but even then I can never
get the textures to look the same as they did originally.

Any chance I piqued the curiousity of someone who knows more about the topic
than I do? :-)

FWIW, this was all prompted by a sunset scene that I'm working on that I
just can't get the lighting right in. :-P

William